Jamhuri ya Muungano wa Tanzania
Shirika la Reli Tanzania

About SGR

What is SGR?

SGR is a short term “Standard Gauge Railway”.

A standard-gauge railway is a railway with a track gauge of 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 12 in). The standard gauge as well called Stephenson gauge, International gauge, UIC gauge, uniform gauge, normal gauge and European gauge in the EU and Russia. It is the most widely used railway track gauge across the world, with approximately 55% of the lines in the world using it.

The Different between Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) and Meter gauge Railway (MGR) is, Standard Gauge Railway has ability to carry heavy loads by High Speed than Metre Gauge.

TANZANIA AND STANDARD GEUGE RAILWAY

The United Republic of Tanzania and Tanzania Railway Corporation (TRC) extinguished to construct 2,561 Kilometer Standard Gauge Railway network that links Dar es Salaam, Mwanza, Kigoma, Katavi and neighboring countries of Rwanda, Burundi, and DRC.

Standard gauge railway; a first railway in East Africa and central designed to use electricity to power locomotives and its has capacity to accommodate passenger trains traveling at 160 kilometers per hour.

The main objectives of Standard Gauge Railway are to add efficient in transportation especially in Tanzania Railway sector and the following will be simplified;

  • Increase of freight service, whereby railway will be able to carryup to 10,000 tones merely equal to the 500 Cargotracks.
  • Cut off time for Passenger and freight trains will help to boost economic
  • Increase of employment opportunities
  • Improving Social Community Welfare through Corporate Social Responsibilities i.e Building Schools, Hospitals in project surrounding areas.
  • Boosting agriculture, mining, business and industry sector by ensuring safe and reliable rail transport of raw and processed Agriculture products in Tanzania and Neighboring Countries.
  • Economic benefits result from Cut off transport cost in road maintenance

Construction of Tanzania Standard Gauge Railway Network consists of five phases covering 1,219 Kilometers long main track.

  • Phase 1 Dar es Salaam – Morogoro ­­(Km 300)
  • Phase 2 Morogoro- Makutupora (Km 422)
  • Phase 3 Makutupora –Tabora (Km 294)
  • Phase 4 Tabora – Isaka (Km 130)
  • Phase 5 Isaka – Mwanza ( Km 249)

First phase:

Dar es Salaam – Morogoro, Km 300: Starndard Gauge Railway Project launched by the Presidentof United Republic of Tanzania Dr. John Pombe Magufuli on 12, April 2017 at Pugu in Dar es Salaam Region. Now the construction ongoing under Joint partnership of Turkish, YAPI MERKEZI and MOTA ENGIL AFRICA from Portugal.

Second phase:

Morogoro – Makutupora Km 442: The project launched by the President of United Republic of Tanzania Dr John Pombe Magufuli on 14, March 2018. Construction work is going on the early stage of the project under Turkish, YAPI MERKEZI.

Phase: 3, 4 and 5:

Those phases are still in negotiations.

STRUCTURE OF STANDARD GAUGE RAILWAY (SGR)

Eight percent (80%) of Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) is constructed parallel to Meter Gauge Railway (MGR), while the remaining Twenty percent (20%) of SGR alignment diverge from Metre Gauge to avoid corner and other obstacles due to its high speed.

  • In level crossing areas there will be under or over passes to avoid accidents.
  • Rail track will be fenced for people and animals’ safety.
  • Creating awareness Campaign concerning project, safety and other issues project related to the public.

LAND ACQUSITION AND COMPENSATION PAYMENT

Land Acquisition and Compensation payment are done under the Land Act of 1999 and Evaluation Act of 2016, a part of land which has been be taken for the project activities are evaluated, acquired and owners are paid accordingly by the Government.